Microvisions (The Sink). 2013. 
Gouache, watercolor, and acrylic on bristol board, 5 × 7″.

Above is my contribution to Microvisions 2013, an auction of pint-sized art that benefits the Society of Illustrators Scholarship Fund (you can see a few of last year’s pieces here, and my 2009 offering here). I used the opportunity to do a bit of concept work for my personal project, which has languished for the last couple months as I’ve battled deadlines. This is the first finished painting I’ve done of my main character, the Sink. It probably won’t be the final look, but I hope it will one day look like an early McQuarrie Star Wars painting — familiar, but not quite what made the final cut. (I fully realize how high I’m setting the bar by saying that).

Character Studies. 2012.
Watercolor and acrylic on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

The remaining sketches are studies for Sink and 2 other main characters. Despite my experience with drawing comics, it’s always been with established characters, so coming up with something original has been a real challenge. I’m excited to do more concept work for the story, but for now I’m concentrating on writing — something I’m picking up as I go along.

My eventual goal is a 200-page graphic novel, but I’ve already missed all the deadlines I’ve set for myself (been busy with other people’s cool projects). Part of me hopes that by sharing it here, I’ll have even more incentive to get the ball rolling. I’ve worked out the plot, scene by scene, which means I can move on to dialogue. The good news is I’m in love with the story and the characters, so I won’t be happy until I’m able to extract it from my mind.

Character Studies. 2012.
Ink on bristol board, 11 × 17″