Muddy Colors is not just a blog, it’s a community, and it’s been wonderful to see how...Read More
Author: Lauren Panepinto
Posted by Lauren Panepinto | Thursday, October 10th, 2019
Since my column this month falls on World Mental Health Day this year, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to address it. As you know if you’ve been reading my columns, I’ve been doing a lot of research into how mental health affects an artist’s ability to create — a topic I always knew was critical to our community, but didn’t quite know how critical until we opened up the Dear Art Director website. Easily…Read More
Posted by Lauren Panepinto | Thursday, September 12th, 2019
If you saw my column from last month, you’ll remember I started a quick poll on twitter that ended up expanded into a larger more in-depth survey, focused on not only how artists are making their money, but also a bit about what their goals are. I’m back, a month later, to report in on the data we collected. Now before we dive in, let’s remember a few caveats: 1 — This survey is…Read More
Posted by Lauren Panepinto | Thursday, March 28th, 2019
The question of whether someone should go to art school or not is a smaller conversation in the bigger “Is Higher Education Worth the Cost” debate raging everywhere (especially in the US). Student debt can be crippling to someone starting out in any field, but it is often extra hard to bear as an artist because most artists will not come out of school able to pull in enough money to support themselves solely off…Read More
Posted by Lauren Panepinto | Thursday, February 28th, 2019
I want to bring up a complicated issue here that has been coming up very often lately in my conversation with artists, and which I deal with often in my role as a creative director in publishing: What is cultural appropriation, and how does it affect what artists make? As media becomes more and more diverse, the question comes up: who has the right to tell which stories? Can an author write a character that…Read More
- on distractions I remember the old ConceptArt forums, they were amazing. I'd love to be part of these, however as the others noted the code is currently invalid. Hope…
- on distractions Confirmed, code not valid :<
- on Big questions. No Answers. You can’t get rid of the part of you that yearns to be an artist, any more than you can get rid of your shadow. This is so true.
- on distractions Invitation code not valid Coro! I perfectly remember those forums and the DVDs sold, which I really loved. I would be grateful to repeat the experienc…
- on Big questions. No Answers. oh man can i relate to this post. good to hear your thoughts and see what you've been working on. be well and be safe!