In my last post, I went through the layout phase of the boar-rider. Today I have the finished oil painting and for comparison, my initial color comp.
This color comp is a little unusual in that I took it really far, and I did it over top of drawings that were already pretty tight. This tightness in a color comp can be dangerous because it can make me feel a little locked in and there are less happy accidents and explorations that go on. It trades the energy of spontaneity for an idiot-proofed coloring stage.
As you can see I ended up sticking fairly close to my initial color comp. The only major difference is the heavier glazes that darkened the image overall.