Do you struggle to come up with composition ideas after one or two? Here’s a bunch of prompts that might inspire something unexpected.
If you’ve got a D20 on hand, roll for a random idea!
- Low, or high camera angle
- Detail or very close shot
- Try the moment before, or after the action
- Compose with triangles, spirals, or rectangles
- Compose with parallel lines, or radial lines
- Crop the main figure
- Focus on designing the negative space
- Flatten the perspective
- Put all the action at the top, or the bottom
- Put all the action in a narrow strip, or a bold graphic shape
- Spot a bright color, or highest or lowest value, in specific places
- Invert the positive and negative shapes
- Repeat elements in a pattern, then break it
- Try a visual frame story (a painting of an art object in a different medium)
- Hide a second-read image in the overall composition, or in the shadows
- How would a specific film director, or specific artist frame it?
- How would a trained dancer, or a specific character actor pose for it?
- Make the figures touch in some way
- Engage the viewer’s senses other than vision
- How would it look with a completely different genre of music for a soundtrack?
You can combine these for even more ideas to try!